Hong Kong, like many developed cities, has seen it’s waste load swell exponentially alongside it’s population. The waste disposal infrastructure is no match for the rate and volume at which we generate refuse. The Hong Kong Audit Commission stated on October 27 2015 that in 2013 Hong Kong created 5.49 million tonnes of municipal solid waste. This is a comparatively large waste load compared to neighboring cities at a similar level of development like Seoul and Taipei, and was almost double the amount of daily domestic waste in Tokyo.
Of this 5.49 million tons of waste produced, 3.48 million tons (63%) were disposed of at landfills, and the remaining 2.01 million tons (37%) were recovered for recycling. In the same year, America recycled 50% of municipal waste. As reported by the Hong Kong Environmental Bureau, all existing landfill sites will be full by 2019.
The government hopes to reduce the amount of rubbish generated by 40% by 2020, partly through introducing waste charging in 2016.Read More